Biology has never been a drag instead it is a source of recreation with an instinct of curiosity. The vast world of biology employs various experiments that have to be performed in the laboratory with proper equipment. But guess what, the limitation to experiments to be only performed in labs is not a big deal now. Now, biological experiments can easily be performed at your home with available home equipment at every level. Below I have enlisted some of the most common experiments with home available equipment at all ages.
Since experiments including the technology of genetic engineering are to be performed under properly certified protocols, therefore, those experiments are not enlisted. However, some people that can handle the conditions have certified their home place to genetically alter microbes of their inborn traits.
1. Extract your own DNA
DNA is the genetic pillar that helps differentiate one person from the other. It holds all the genetic makeup one is made up of. It is a mesh of genes that encode various biological traits including your colour, height, and disease heritability.
DNA has long been extracted from the cells for various productive reasons. Either it is done for genetic analysis, or to investigate forensic evidence by DNA fingerprinting. DNA extraction can now be performed at your own home with everyday use kitchen utensils. It can be done from your saliva or home available vegetables and fruits among which strawberries and bananas are the most preferred one.
Material and Apparatuses Needed:
- Small sized decontaminated glass
- Table salt (1 teaspoon)
- Sample (Saliva)
- Juice of pineapple
- Cold alcohol
- Dish Soap
- Drinking Pipe
1. Take a small decontaminated glass and spit the saliva into that until it fills a quarter of the glass. Generally, saliva comprises several cells which are either the part of mouth lining tissues or cheeks.
2. To lyse the cells of their membrane, add some drops of dish soap to degrade the cells integrity.
3. After lysis, add a spoon full of pineapple juice to that glass to clean the glass of all the cell proteins that are released after lysis to get pure DNA.
4. Then add a pinch of table salt commonly available at all homes and allow the DNA to clump together.
5. Agitate the glass mixture for thorough mixing
6. Now fill the rest empty glass portion with highly purified alcohol and allow it to settle above the mixture. To avoid enough mixing, add more alcohol to it with a straw. For that, take the straw and dip it into the alcohol and pipette out alcohol from alcohol bottle by placing your thumb at the other end of the straw. Now move that straw to the mixture and release it gently.
7. After some time you will get a whitish mucus-like material. That’s the DNA.
Pick that white mucus like material by a toothpick and examine it under a microscope by adding chromogenic agent i.e methylene blue to it to get better visual results. Then you can preserve your extracted DNA for future use by placing it in an envelope or a bag. For its analysis, the home done analysis can be a bit expensive. For the separation of DNA in accordance with their relative size is done by electrophoresis but it costs €300. But this can also be done at home.